Hay hay mamas!
With Christmas literally around the corner, now is the time to begin planning your family holiday cards. While there are many details involved in planning Christmas cards, I wanted to focus on mama today. God only knows we deserve to be pampered for all of the hard work that we do. Why not make the pampering scheduled on the day that you can show it off? On your holiday card, of course!
Thus, in this post, I will be talking about MOMMY'S holiday card look: how to look and feel your best for your holiday card photos. This year, I felt amazing and beautiful (despite being heavier than I normally am), and you know what, I deserve to look and feel amazing. I work my booty off as a mama and a lot of the time I don't get to dress up or be pampered as much as I would like to. Therefore, make this day not only about your family, but also about you. You deserve it, girl.
In this post, I will share an overview of my holiday card:
If you know me personally, you know that I am passionate about makeup and pretty much wear a full face of makeup daily, so I figured I'll start by sharing my favorite holiday makeup routine.
4. Apply eye shadow primer over the concealer (on eyelid all the way up to eyebrow).
5. Apply eye shadow. I generally do a lighter, shimmery color on my eyelid. Blend. Then I add a darker, warm/brown color to the crease of my eye. Blend that in by making somewhat of a "V" shape, blending the crease and along the outer lash line, slightly with the color on the lid. Add one more color, slightly different but maybe in between the other two colors. Apply to the crease along that bone and down along lash line. *See image below for a similar look.
6. Highlight just under your brow with a lighter more shimmery eye shadow.
7. Apply winged eyeliner. See shape below.
8. Apply lashes. Start by putting a dollop of lash glue on a tissue. Then trace the fake eye lash against the glue. Don't apply too much or too little glue. Be sure to apply a decent amount to corners of lash, especially (this is where the lash tends to fall off first, if at all). After applying glue, wave the lash in the air to dry for about 5 seconds, then bend the lash in a curved motion for flexibility, and apply. Be sure to apply lashes as close as you can to lash line!
9. Apply remaining concealer to the bottom of eye and blend with a brush. I usually tap in a repetitive motion. *See image below for under-eye concealer application technique.
10. After you apply your concealer and have your eyes almost complete (with the exception of mascara and under eye liner/shadow), you will then do your foundation. I mix two foundation together - see the "PRODUCTS" list above for reference. I always use a blush and blend a decent amount, especially for family photos. I do more coverage than a daytime look. Blend foundation all over face, but be careful NOT to blend too much into where you have your concealer. You want a brighter look around your eyes, and a darker foundation look surrounding.
11. After you apply liquid foundation, I go in with the Laura Mercier Mineral Powder to set the foundation. I do this with a big, loose brush. Again, I am careful not to blend too much of this into the "concealer" parts of my face.
12. Next, apply bronzer. You will need to know how to contour!!! This is very important to bronzer application. Contouring shapes your face and really makes your cheekbones and other sexy parts of your face "pop." I highly recommend learning how to contour. See the below image for more info. The "contouring" part, or where you apply the bronzer is along the darker dots. I use MAC Mineralize Bronzer. Using a brush, I make round motions along the designated areas you see in the photo. If the bronzer looks to "stark", you can go over it again with the powder brush to blend.
13. Apply blush. I used MAC Powder Blush in the color "PEACES". I apply blush by smiling in the mirror and putting it on the round part of my cheeks, slightly above where you contoured with the bronzer.
15. Next, apply a highlighter to your cheekbone in a sideways "V" shape - along your cheekbone (above blush) and up to your eyebrow. Highlighters make ALL the difference, girlfriend. Don't skip this step. See below for more info on where to apply a highlighter. I use MAC Mineralize Skinfinish. It is the BOMB highlighter. I also apply highlighter down the top of my nose (lightly), on the tip of my nose and around the top of my lips. Sometimes I also apply to the inner corner of my eyes, just under my brows and to the center part of my forehead AND maybe even the butt of my nose. Man, I love highlighter.
16. Next, do the eyebrows. This is also a very important step because eyebrows shape your face. I plucked the heck out of mine and almost NEED to color in my eyebrows everyday. Watch a brow tutorial if you need to and look at the above images (and on Pinterest) for eyebrow inspiration. Below is the basic idea. I could do a full post on brows - so just look it up this time around!
17. Go back to your eyes and you'll notice you'll need something under your eyes. I always go in with a lighter color eyeshadow to set the concealer and to make my eyes pop. I generally use Brule from MAC or some other lighter beige/white color. I also put the shadow on the inner part of my lower eye lid. Next, apply a darker shadow at or just under (depending on your eye shape/what look you're going for) your lower lash line. I used a brown shadow. I apply it from the outer corner of the eye, and not all of the way in. If you apply too far in, it'll "close up" your eyes. I like a doe-y, bright-eyed look, so I avoid the inner corner of my eye.
18. Next, apply a light coat of mascara to the top (you have lashes on so you don't need to overdo the mascara). Also apply a decent coat to the bottom lashes.
19. Now for the lips. Apply the REDD liner, tracing the outer shape of your lips. I always color in the corners of my lips both on the right and left side, upper and lower. Then I add CHILI to the center of my lips. Be careful not to apply red lipstick too early because it may bleed. I applied it literally right before we got out of the car.
Presto, Gorgeous Mama!